|Summary:||Adapter for Focus Drive (z-stage) for Meiji Techno EMZ stereo microscopes|
|Author:||Koen De Vleeschauwer, kdvelectronics|
|Devices:||kdvelectronics Focus Drive for Meiji Techno EMZ stereo microscopes.|
- Connect and power up the focus drive.
- Start up Micro-Manager. Open the Tools menu, and choose Hardware Configuration Wizard.
- In the "Select the configuration file" window: Click on Next.
- In the "Add or remove devices" window: Click on Add.
- In the "Add device" window: Select "KDVZStage" from the list, then click on Add. A small window pops up with "Please type in the new device name". Click on OK. Click on Done.
- Back in the "Add or remove devices" window: Note the list now has a new device called "KDVZStage" with as description "Focus Drive for Meiji Techno". Click on Next.
- In the "Edit pre-initialisation settings" window: Note the serial port of the focus drive has the value "Undefined". Click on Undefined and select the serial port the focus drive is connected to. Click on Next.
- In the "Setup Serial ports" window: Select the serial port the focus drive is connected to. Click on Next.
- In the "Select default devices" window: Choose "KDVZStage" as default focus stage. Click on Next.
- In the "Set delays for devices without synchronisation capabilities" window: Click on Next.
- In the "Select devices to synchronize with image acquisition" window: Click on Next.
- In the "Define position labels for state devices" window: Click on Next.
- In the "Save configuration" window: Click "Save and test the new configuration". Click on Exit.
You can now use the focus drive in Micro-Manager.
The following properties are currently implemented:
- Sets the speed of the focus drive. Various settings are available from 1 revolution per minute (1 rpm) to 2 revolutions per second (2 rps). The default value is 1 rps.
- Sets the focus drive idle timer. Units are seconds. If no positioning command has been received for more than StepperIdleTimerS seconds, the focus drive releases the fine focus knob. A value of 0 disables the idle timer; the focus drive never releases the fine focus knob. The default value is 0.
- Sets the vertical travel. Units are µm. The focus drive will refuse positioning more than StageTravelUm above or less than StageTravelUm below the initial position at power up. The default value is 33000µm, or 33mm.
- Sets the focus drive step size. Units are µm. One revolution of the focus drive equals 200 steps. The default value is 19.25µm.
- Sets the focus drive positioning timeout. Units are seconds. The focus drive will halt the motor if a positioning command takes more than StagePositioningTimeOutS seconds. You may have to increase this value if you wish to move large distances (e.g. 33mm) at very low speeds (e.g. 1 rpm). The default value is 60s.
- Sets the focus drive port timeout. Units are milliseconds. The focus drive drive will report an error if the focus drive takes more than PortTimeoutMs milliseconds to begin execution of a command. If this error occurs, check the cable between focus drive and PC. Check the focus drive power supply is plugged in. The default value is 1000ms, or 1 second.
To test the stage, open the Tools menu, choose "Script Panel" and type:
bsh % mmc.setRelativePosition(mmc.getFocusDevice(), 1000);
The stage has to move 1 mm towards the sample. Make sure that the objective is far enough away from the sample before executing this command.